Coursework - Design and Realisation
Design Briefs - Ordinary Level
1. Design and make an elegant artefact to display a maximum of three tea-light candles on a table.
The artefact should be designed to be safe when in use. Your design should be hand-crafted in solid wood and should have a storage facility for six additional tea-light candles.
Design Brief gallery 1
2. Design and make a money box to be displayed on a desk or shelf.
The money box should be attractive in appearance and should include a facility to display a small photograph.
3. Design and make a decorative artefact to hold three small potted herb plants.
The artefact should be designed to be wall-mounted in an outdoor setting. Your design should be elegant in appearance and should reflect the theme of 'grow your own food'.
Design Brief gallery 3
Design Briefs - Higher Level
1. The most cherished objects are often those that are simply crafted and easy to use.
Design and make a stand that will support an open cookery book on a kitchen worktop. The stand should express the elegance of handcrafted joints. As a secondary function, the stand should be suitable as a visually attractive wall mounted display.
2. The spirit of welcome is a cultural trait which is valued and celebrated worldwide.
Design and make an artefact which could be presented to welcome a visitor to your local community in 2013. The finished artefact should be elegant in appearance and its design should express an aspect of culture that is unique to your community.
3. An organised environment enhances a young person's bedroom space.
Design and make a slimline, wall-mounted storage unit for use in a bedroom. A portion of the unit should provide a means of concealing a number of personal items. The unit should be of elegant proportions, enhanced by the natural beauty of solid wood. Your design should reflect the sustainable ideal of doing more with less. The maximum dimension of the unit should not exceed 500mm.