Coursework - Design and Realisation
Design Briefs - Ordinary Level
1. Design and make an artefact to store and display items of jewellery in an attractive manner.
The artefact should be hand-crafted from solid woods and should be able to accommodate a range of different jewellery items. It should be pleasing to look at and be lightweight and sturdy.
2. Design and make an attractive clock for use in your home.
The design should be unique and be inspired by a major sporting event of your choice. The clock should be compact and elegant in appearance and should complement its surroundings.
3. Design and make a small footstool suitable for use when playing console games.
The footstool should be well proportioned and should incorporate a facility to store a minimum of six games. The maximum dimension of storage unit should not exceed 400mm.
Design Briefs - Higher Level
1. Wood is a natural tactile material that encourages a child's exploration of their environment.
Design and make an attractive educational toy suitable for use by a young child. The toy should incorporate a device or mechanism to aid the child's sensory development through play. You should demonstrate clearly how you addressed health and safety issues in your design.
2. Many young people admire iconic figures who inspire and motivate them in their lives.
Design and make an artefact that could be presented to such a person or group and which reflects their inspirational and motivational characteristics. The artefact should be enhanced by the natural beauty of complementary solid woods.
3. Wooden items of elegant proportions, which portray the inherent beauty of this natural material, enhance any home.
Design and make a slimline wall-mounted unit to safely store a range of first-aid items. The unit should incorporate hand-crafted joints and should harmonise with its surroundings. It should include a small removable facility for essential items for use in the event of an emergency. The maximum dimension of storage unit should not exceed 450mm.