Coursework - Design and Realisation
Design Briefs - Ordinary Level
1. Design and make a decorative mirror for a child’s room.
The mirror unit should be designed to be wall mounted and must incorporate a theme from a storybook or animated film. The mirror unit should be safe in use, compact and well made. Any templates used should be included in your design folio.
Design Brief gallery 1
2. Design and make a decorative artefact to celebrate the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. The artefact should be attractive, compact and well made. It may be wall-mounted or suitable for display on a shelf and should represent a specific aspect of this international sporting event.
Design Brief gallery 2
3. Design and make an attractive organiser for sketching and colouring equipment. The artefact should be designed to organise and store a variety of pencils, A4 paper and other
relevant materials. The organiser should be well made and appropriately finished. The maximum dimension must not exceed 400mm.
Design Brief gallery 3
Design Briefs - Higher Level
1. Storage spaces in the home are sometimes located at a high level and are not easily accessed. Design and make a freestanding artefact which will enable an adult to reach such locations safely. Your artefact should be made from solid wood, with jointing techniques chosen to provide strength and stability. The unit should be designed to be portable and should incorporate an innovative secondary function. The maximum base footprint of the unit must not exceed 500mm.
2. Marking significant historical events is an important element of cultural identity for nations across the globe. Design and make an artefact commemorating a significant historical event of your choice. The artefact should be elegant in appearance, be enhanced by the use of native Irish hardwoods and should incorporate a range of handcraft skills. Your design should be inspiring and encourage reflection on cultural values. The artefact should be suitable for display on a mantelpiece or shelf.
3. Young people take great pride in their appearance, presentation and image. Design and make an elegant artefact which will neatly store and display a selection of personal grooming items. The artefact should be compact and designed to rest on a table top. Your design should be inspired by naturally occurring shapes and forms and should accentuate the beauty of skilfully crafted solid wood. The maximum dimension must not exceed 350mm.