Futsal Final 1G 2018

Futsal Final 2018 - 1A v 1G photo album

Video highlights to follow...

Our lunchtime leagues have ended after some thrilling games.

Quarter finals:
1B vs 1C
1A vs 1D
1E vs 1F
1G vs 1H


Result: 1B 2-1 1C
The 'Crua's' were in flying form as 1B won the opening game of the Lunchtime Leagues. Under the watchful eye of Liam Doherty Crua and Damien Duffy, 1B raced into an early lead. Owen Doherty Crua (younger brother of manager Liam) scored the 2 goals that put 1B in control. 1C managers Ben Curley and Coran Donaghey rang the changes and Ellie Long pulled a goal back but it was too little too late for 1C. 1B progressed to the semi-finals where they played 1A.

Result: 1A 2-2 1D
1A won 3-2 after sudden death penalties
Our 2nd quarter final in the Lunchtime Leagues was an unforgettable one. Transition year students Brian Houghton and Shay McLaughlin (Jimmy Mickey) took charge of 1D and were bullish about their chances of going all the way.

1A under the tutelage of Athena McLaughlin and Laura Doherty had less to say and were letting their players do the talking on the pitch. This was an enthralling end to end game with chances galore at both ends. The game was finely balanced at 1-1 with 5 minutes left when Aoife McCarron of 1A dispossessed a defender and rifled a shot into the top corner. It looked like 1A would hold out but some inspired substitutions by Gaffer Houghton led to 1D taking over. With 10 seconds left and 1D laying siege to 1A's goal, a deflected shot deceived Danny Diver in the 1A goal and the scores were level at 2-2. The game went to a penalty shootout and after some inspired saves, the shootout went to sudden death. All the pressure was on Manus Doherty, who tucked away an excellent penalty to scenes of delight in the crowd.

In the other games, 1G had a comfortable 5-3 win against 1H with Shay Fallon and Ross Farren in flying form and 1F had a comfortable win over 1E; 4-2 the final score.

In the semi-finals, 1A played 1B and 1G played 1F.

1A vs 1B: Result 1-1, 1A win on sudden death penalties.
This was a rip-roaring occasion with a massive crowd up to watch. Liam Crua was bullish about his team’s chances. After dominating possession and having the majority of chances, you could see why. Against the run of play, Aoife McCarron dispossessed a defender and placed an unstoppable left foot strike into the roof of the net. 1B really upped the ante and with 5 minutes left got an equaliser. 1A hung on for dear life in the final minutes with Danny Diver in inspired form as goalkeeper. The game went to penalties, 1A's 2nd penalty shootout of the tournament. The tie was level after five penalties each, yet Danny Diver was the hero again as 1A prevailed in sudden death.

In the other semi, 1G put in a very composed performance against 1F. They dominated possession and took their chances well with Courtney Gallagher and Seaneen Crumlish standing out.

Futsal Final 2018 - 1A v 1G photo album

1A vs 1G - Final Score 1-1. 1G win on sudden death penalties.
1G entered this game as favourites having won both their quarter final and semi-final quite comfortably, whilst 1A had come through both games on penalties. 1A dismissed these pre-match expectations and tore into 1G from the start. Alex McColgan led by example in midfield and set up a raft of chances. Aoife McCarron tucked away a deserved opener with her left foot to put them one goal up. Half time came at the right time for 1G and they came out like a new team in the 2nd half, dominating possession. They finally got the equaliser they deserved after a fine right footed finish by Ross Farren. The game went to penalties again and now 1A were the fancied team having come through two previous penalty shootouts. Aidan Robertson turned out to be the hero for 1G with some fine saves in the shootout and there was an eruption of noise when 1G slotted home their winning penalty.

Captain Ross Farren was presented with the cup by his Year Head, Mr Havlin. Mr Conor Doherty thanked all the TY's who had given up their lunchtimes to coach the teams, the players who had participated every week in such good spirits, and finally a big thank you was given to 5th year student Christopher McDaid who gave up his lunchtimes to come up and referee the matches - the hardest job of all. The league was a great success, enjoyed by all. Massive congratulations to 1G and their class teacher Mrs McCole. Commiserations to 1A and their class teacher Mrs Breda Doherty.